Have you always wanted to be the kind of person who gets up early and goes to the gym before work, but when the morning rolls around you keep hitting snooze and are never able to get yourself out of bed?
There are a lot of advantages to working out first thing in the morning. It will wake you up and energize you for the day ahead. Also, if your workout is later in the day you are more likely to skip it if something else comes up. Another advantage is that research has shown that morning exercisers are more likely to work harder and longer than those who exercise in the evening or afternoon, which means that you will burn more calories.
So how do you change your habits so that you get used to working out first thing in the morning? Here are some tips that will make it easier:
- Make sure that you go to bed early so that you are well rested and ready to go in the morning.
- When you are getting up and you have that urge to go back to bed, ask yourself, “What will I gain from staying awake and working out instead of going back to sleep?” The answer will always be: “a lot!”
- Try visualizing your workout the night before as you are falling asleep. Visualizing and imagining yourself enjoying it will really help you get charged up for the next morning.
- Have all of your workout clothes neatly arranged and ready for you the night before. You won’t waste time in the morning looking for the essentials and this will serve as a visual cue.
- Some even suggest sleeping in your workout clothes, so that you can just leap out of bed and get started with your exercise.
- Make sure that your iPod is charged, so that you can start the day off right with your favorite pump up music.
- Find a workout buddy and commit to meeting them at a certain time in the morning. You will be less likely to give up if it means letting someone else down.
- Choose a workout class that starts early in the morning, so that you will have a deadline to meet. You might find that working out in a group makes you work harder and push yourself more.
- Plan a delicious breakfast to reward yourself after your workout. You’ll go through your workout knowing that there is a cup of premium quality coffee and some gourmet strawberry granola waiting for you.
These are just a few things for turning your morning workout into a habit. It might seem a little challenging at first, but once you make it into a habit you will really start to enjoy working out in the mornings.