Many women shy away from weight training as they are worried that it will make them look big and bulky when they are aiming for a slim physique. However, this is simply not true. If you are female who wants to get fit, don’t be afraid of lifting weights. Your body naturally lacks the testosterone and musculature required to become as big and bulky as a male weightlifter. Instead, weight lifting will simply make your body tighter and more toned and will help you to burn more calories.
When you build muscle you will continue to burn more calories throughout the day. Also, strength training will help you to maintain your lovely curves while losing fat in the areas where you want to. Weight lifting has also been shown to reduce your risk of heart disease, improve your bone health and also be very effective for stress relief.
So, what should women know before they start lifting their way to a stronger and fitter body? Here are some weight training tips for women.
- Don’t skip your warmup. Lifting with stiff and cold muscles can lead to injury. Make sure that you warm up to increase your circulation and improve your range of motion. This can be a simple 10 minutes of walking or jogging before you begin.
- Make sure that you are following the correct form. If you aren’t sure, watch a video online or have an instructor at your gym coach you on the correct technique.
- For every exercise that works one part of the body, do the opposite exercise to work the other side of the body. For example, if you work out your back make sure to also work your chest. This helps to even out any strength imbalances.
- Be careful not to do too much too soon. If you increase your reps and sets too quickly, you might be putting yourself at risk for injury. Over time you will get stronger and you can increase the weight that you are lifting.
- Consider working with a personal trainer to put together a workout routine that is customized to your goals. The advantage of this is that you will have someone who can coach you on your form and technique and make sure that you are lifting correctly.
- Don’t be intimidated by using the area of the gym with the weight machines, even if it is often filled with bulky guys. If you aren’t sure how to use the machine ask the gym staff to show you, then go for it! Stop worrying about what anyone thinks.
- Be consistent and don’t give up. You won’t see results overnight, but you will start to notice changes in your body in the first few weeks. Set goals to motivate yourself and then stick to those goals.
Keep these tips in mind and give weight training a try – you’ll feel strong, confident and sexy and you’ll start building the tight, toned body you’ve always wanted.